Monday, September 27, 2010

Transit board member needs to be ousted!!!

Comments to CMRTA concerning board members comments opposing support of bus system

By: Keith H. Seymour


For those of you who do not know me, my name is Keith Seymour, and I am a bus rider, and I have also been a car driver, and maybe a driver at some point again. However this meeting is not about me, but about what is best for this community, and how the importance of a viable transit system. In that vain, I will make my comments short, but they will not be sweet!

The CMRTA board has worked too long and too hard over the past several years to sustain and improve the bus system, including but not limited to the CMRTA and others finally convincing Richland County Council to agree to put this penny sales tax on a referendum. Now during this time, I have been both one of the CMRTA's biggest critics and biggest defenders, depending on my feelings concerning those efforts.

I also wish it to be noted that I have always thought well of Mr. Tommy Windsor in regards to my dealings with him at transit meetings, and as a result of his association with at the former Epilepsy Foundation of South Carolina. Therefore, I have nothing personal against him.

However, I absolutely refuse to keep quiet about what I see as comments that have the potential to dangerously perpetuate an attitude that will lead to the economic destruction of both the bus system and the City of Columbia.

In my opinion, CMRTA board member. Windsor's comments to the press and public, opposing the passage of this referendum, are potentially detrimental not only to the well-being of bus riders, but to the growth of this community. At the very least he has presented an image problem concerning the CMRTA's sincere advocacy on behalf bus riders and drivers, as well as negating how this penny sales tax has the very real potential to benefit the economic growth of individuals and businesses within our community, in the long run.

The bottom line is that I feel the best course of action, is for the City of Columbia, who appointed Mr. Windsor to the CMRTA, to relieve him of status on this board, and replace him with someone who will actively work to help this bus system and this community grow.

Thank you for hearing me out on this matter. I sincerely hope my advice is heeded.

Keith H. Seymour is a thirty-three year resident of Columbia, a local community advocate, writer, and media consultant, and bus re may be reached at 803-960-8785 or at keithhseymour@bellsouth.net.

No comments:

Post a Comment